Thursday, September 13, 2007

I Wanna Get Lost




Back when I was in grade school, I could draw all the different regions of the Philippines, name all the provinces and identify all their respective capitals. Then, just like most of what I learned, as soon as I passed my exams, all that knowledge… floated away.

Now, I have a geographic proficiency that will make my Aralin teacher want to kill herself. I honestly thought Bukidnon was in Luzon. Palawan was part of Mindanao and I keep confusing Cagayan Valley with Cagayan de Oro.
Pareho kasi ng pangalan eh! Sino ba nag name studies niyan?!

Ironic for someone with a
bad case of wanderlust. But then again, I thought, this is specifically the reason why I should travel more. The more I get to see the different provinces then the more I can familiarize myself with the regions. There’s nothing like learning first hand right? Right…

And so I have another excuse to take my leaves and spend my money. It sounds like a good cause. Something I can easily segue to national pride and local appreciation. But I won’t… since it might sound old and pretentious. Haha!

Every now and then, when I think of all the provinces I want to visit, I feel like my head will explode. There’s just so many! 7, 107 islands to be exact, and I don’t know where to begin. Plus, with my so-called “geographical expertise,” I will surely get lost. And that’s what I want.

Heading to a place, with no plans, no schedule, no must-see tourist destination to stop for, that’s the kind of travel I want to do. Making friends while asking for directions, crashing someone’s place while clueless of where to go next, that for me is a better experience.

I want to feel that I don’t have all control. I want to feel that my country is bigger than me. I want to experience the islands in a way deeper than any ordinary tourist can. I want to get lost.

And when I do get lost, I will find my way around. And I will get to know the people, get to spend time with them, get to share their space, and learn more than any grade school subject can discuss. Then maybe, and I sure hope, I can finally get the goddamn names and locations right. Then I will do my Aralin teacher proud.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

loved your info on the phils

Anonymous said...

enjoyed your info on the phils made me feel great after reading it .........

bendelu said...

i took this pic!!! :-)